To complement your holiday experience, you would not want to miss out its interesting and exotic selections of dishes, aren’t you? So, here is our version of the top 5 local foods you really must try in Bali this holiday:
1. Satay Lilit It is made of minced beef, chicken, fish, pork, or even turtle meat, mixed with coconut milk, coconut and a rich blend of vegetables and spices. Unlike any other satay in Indonesia, Balinese Satay Lilit is wrapped around bamboo, sugar cane or lemongrass sticks before grilled. It is usually served with Sambal Matah.
2. Nasi Campur Nasi Campur or the mixed rice is usually served with various Balinese delights such as pieces of Babi Guling, Ayam Betutu, Balinese mixed vegetables and Sambal Matah. Nasi Campur can be found easily in any Warong (small eateries) around Bali.
3. Bebek and Ayam Betutu Betutu is a whole chicken or duck stuffed with traditional herbs and spices that usually served wrapped in banana leaves after being baked for 6 to 7 hours. Its juicy and tender meat with the rich taste of herbs will make you want it more and more.
4. Babi Guling Just like Betutu, Babi Guling (roasted rolled pig) is also Bali’s all-time favorite. Babi Guling is one whole pig stuffed with herbs, spices and vegetables (usually cassava leaves), slowly roasted by rolling (roll is Guling in Indonesian) it above the coal fire. It used to be served only on special occasions, but now you can enjoy it in local Warong or restaurant.
5. Lawar Is a unique traditional dish consists of chopped meat, vegetables, grated coconut and spices. In some places, Lawar is served with cooked blood, so there are two types of it; one is red (with blood), and the other one is white (without blood).
All of these dishes are mostly spicy yet awesome in taste, but if you are too afraid of spicy foods, you can ask for the less spicy ones. So, which dishes do you want to try the most?